Thursday, February 7, 2013

The blessing of contentment

"Not htat I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have.  I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty."
(Philippians 4:11-12)

Why is it so hard to be content?  At least for us in the US, where food, resources, money and opportunities abound?  (Don't stop reading now because you don't think you personally have very much - compared to most of the rest of the world, we're incredibly wealthy.  Many live on less than $2/day.)

I don't consider myself materialistic, by any means.  Yet I confess thinking (dreaming) about more.  Better stereo/entertainment system.  More music, books, movies, etc.  Upgrading my headphones, etc.  Sometimes I daydream about travel & vacation opportunities.  Sometimes I wonder what a bigger bank account might mean for my lifestyle, etc.  You know what I mean, right?

Paul, in his letter to the church in Philippi, talks about the blessing of being CONTENT.  He's had both little and plenty.  He's learned to be content with whatever he has.  Instead of wishing, dreaming, longing, desiring (ie. wasting time) for what I don't have, I need to learn to be content with what I DO have.  There is blessing to be found all around me, if only I'll learn the joy of contentment!  If things change down the line, so be it.  But spend the now with a spirit of gratitude, appreciation & joy.  So help me God.

No comments: