Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pet Care - it's biblical!

[From July 31, 2012]

"The righteous know the needs of their animals, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel."
(Proverbs 12:10)

Many of us in this world have pets.  Some pets are "workers" (farm animals, hunting dogs, watch/guard/alert pets, etc.).  Many are companions (from fish to birds & beyond!). 

I've mostly been a dog person.  I had "Cholla" (wire-haired terrier) as a kid.  "Puki" (lab & old english sheepdog mix) in high school.  "Koko" (whippet & lab mix) in seminary.  "Kula" (Spitz terrier) when Emily was born.  "Snickerdoodle," aka "Dood" (Pomeranian mom & mutt dad mix) & "Mini" (Mini-Pincher) recently.  But I've also been around some fish & geckos (yes, as pets... I loved feeding the geckos live crickets!).

Much of the time I default to being the "food guy" for the dogs.  I don't mind it at all.  Because of my flexibility with work schedule, I'm often able to make the trips to the vet, too.

Today, while reading Proverbs, I was reminded that God wants us to be good caretakers of our furry & feathered friends.  "The righteous know the needs of their animals."  There's no place for abuse, neglect, or cruelty.  I'd never really thought about it before, but the "Golden Rule" (do unto others as you'd want them to do unto you) also applies to the Animal Kingdom. 

How cool is that?

No comments: