Friday, November 18, 2011

Glorious Splendor

"On the glorious splendor of your majesty, and on your wondrous works, I will meditate."
(Psalm 145:5)

My dad was a National Park ranger.  I grew up with an affinity for the great outdoors.  I fondly remember summer visits to Yellowstone NP while spending time with my grandparents in Montana.  We also visited the Grand Canyon & many other smaller parks and sites in the desert southwest.  In high school, I lived in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and had many an after-school hike along the park's trails.  In college, a 7-day stay in Yosemite was seminal.  In grad school one summer, Jody and I went camping in Arcadia NP (Maine).  Needless to say, my soul connects to God powerfully through His natural splendor.

The author of Psalm 145 seems to know what I mean!  "On the glorious splendor of your majesty and on your wondrous works, I will meditate."  Living in Hawaii is such a blessing!  There is beauty all around me in God's creation.  Trees, plants, flowers, ocean, waterfalls, mountains, sunsets, clouds, rocks, volcanoes, etc.  What wonderful opportunities to ponder & meditate on God's majesty. What about you?  Does your soul connect this way, too?  What glorious splendor have you seen lately?

No comments: