Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Trifecta

"Likewise, urge younger men to be self-controlled.  Show yourself in all respects a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, gravity, and sound speech that cannot be censured..."
(Titus 2:6-8)

I still think of myself as a "younger man."  Despite being 43, I don't' really feel "older."  So when I was reading the book of Titus today, and they list 5 groups of people (older men, older women, young women, younger men, & slaves), I identified with the "younger men" (I think the -er ending helps a lot!).

The author instructs us younger men to be self-controlled, to model good works, and to teach in such a way that one's opponents can't find any faults.  He gives 3 tenants of teaching as guidelines: INTEGRITY, GRAVITY, & SOUND SPEECH.  As a 'younger man' who teaches on a regular basis, this caused me to reflect...
  • Integrity... May what I say reflect who I am, what I believe, and how I live...
  • Gravity... May I speak about things that actually matter in people's lives... that have depth & relevance.
  • Sound Speech... May my words be clear, grounded, easy to understand, and true.
Simple in concept. Difficult to live out.  Crucial for ministry.
May it be so with me.
AMEN.

No comments: