Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Things that Stick

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
(Romans 8:38-39)

I've recently taking up painting.  Oil painting. We have a painting passion group at church and I love it!  It's fueling my creativity and need for artistic expression.  But I've learned something (actually, I've learned a LOT of 'somethings' through painting, but today I'll just mention one): once on your skin (or anything), oil paint is really hard to get off!  The pigment in oil paint sticks like few things else.  For days (weeks?) after a painting day, my fingers bear the marks of my passion.

In one of the more well-known passages from the Book of Romans, Paul lists something that sticks even more than oil paint: THE LOVE OF GOD!  In fact, Paul says there's NOTHING in ALL of Creation that can take away God's love in us through Christ Jesus.  Nothing.  Not government intervention... nor natural disasters (shout out to all those in the wake of wintry weather today!)... or religious bureaucrats... or spiritual forces of wickedness... or even our own foolishness & sin.  Nothing!  Once we give our heart to God, we're stuck with God's amazing love.  Our souls bear the marks of Christ's passion.  Forever.  (Amen to that!)

No comments: