Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Chip off the Old Block

"Jesus said to them, 'Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise.'"
(John 5:19)
 
I've read this passage from John many times... always thinking about the relationship between God & Jesus (Father & Son).  But today when I read it, I thought about me and my son, Ezra.  Ezra is 15 1/2 and a junior in high school.  He's an athlete.  He has a heart for younger children, and a good sense of humor.  He does well in school.  He loves his family.

There are a lot of similarities between me and my son... not only in looks but characteristics.  I also know he's his own person, and has unique aspects, too.  But when I read this verse today, it impressed upon me that Ezra is who he is largely because of who I am (and, of course, because of who my wife, Jody, is!).  What he's seen me do (or not do) is indelibly imprinted on his psyche.  My values, habits, actions, words, & endeavors shape my son - whether he likes it or not.

That's quite a daunting & humbling thought.  (Lord, help me be the man You need me to be, so Ezra can be the man You need him to be!)  It also tells me that I can know what God is like, because I know what Jesus is like, through stories in Scripture, and his presence in my life today.  I guess he's a chip off the old block!

No comments: