Monday, January 11, 2016

Resting

[From Dec. 10, 2015]

"O LORD, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.  but I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul is like the weaned child that is with me.  O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time on and forevermore."
(Psalm 131)

It's the season of Advent - the month of preparation for Christmas.  I'm preaching a sermon series on Mary and her perspective of the gift of Jesus.  So I've been thinking about moms and babies a lot.

I first "discovered" Psalm 131 in seminary.  During mid-terms and finals, we were given this psalm as a devotional text.  Wow!  "Not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me."  Instead: calm and quiet your soul.  Great advice.

But it's the visual image that packs the biggest punch here: a weaned child and its mother.  Not a nursing child (always demanding to be fed!).  But a contented child.  A child who can just sit with its mother and be together.  Resting.  Trusting.  Calm.  Content.

Mary had seen/heard "great & marvelous" things about her baby Jesus.  It could have been overwhelming.  But then there were times (especially after he was weaned) that she simply held him in her arms and enjoyed the moment.  No future thoughts, endeavors or actions.  Just content to be together.  That's what the Psalmist is calling us to experience, too.  How long has it been since you've rested in the LORD... without asking/wanting/demanding anything?  (Me too.)



No comments: