Monday, October 12, 2015

The Ancient Paths

"Thus says the LORD, stand at the crossroads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.  But they said, 'We will not walk in it.'"
(Jeremiah 6:16)

I'm a new resident to the Antelope Valley.  I'm really enjoying living in Southern California.  There's so much to do and so many places to go.  I usually just use the GPS service on my iPhone when it comes to getting around.  I type in the location and follow Siri's advice on which route to travel.  Nine times out of 10 I opt for the quickest route.

But occasionally I choose an alternate journey.  Not the fastest... maybe a more scenic drive.  Or even better, someone who lives here will give me directional advice and I"ll take a route I'd ever have considered.  That's how Jack took me to Tehachapi.  That's how we returned from Santa Clarita (via the Bouquet Canyon Rd.). 

Jeremiah was preparing the people of Judah for their impending exile.  The people had forsaken God.  They'd neglected his commands.  They worried only about themselves, never caring for others.  So God was going to disrupt their lives to get their attention.

Jeremiah uses an incredible metaphor to remind the people what their game plan should be: "stand at the crossroads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls."  So obvious, yet we often ignore this sage advice.

Guys (like me) get a bad rap for not wanting to ask for directions.  We'll figure it out ourselves, thank you very much.  But we often miss opportunities this way. Same with the people of Judah.  They had a chance to listen to the prophets, to follow the advice of hte forefathers and foremothers.  But they didn't. And they suffered.

I want to find rest for my soul.  I want to walk in the "ancient paths".  I want to journey along the good ways.   So I turn to the Holy Scriptures.  I read the Bible and meditate on the wisdom found therein.  I listen to the advice of elders, and those men & women of faith who've "gone before" me.  I want to ask for directions!

Keep me humble & open, LORD.  Direct my heart to ask for directions and to seek the ancient paths for my life.  Thank you for coming alive to me in scripture reading.  AMEN!

No comments: