Friday, December 5, 2014

The ultimate gift!

"The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever."
(Psalm 138:8)

It's the Christmas season.  Lights, decorations, cards, carols, parties, shopping, wrapping, baking, music & gift giving are all "part & parcel" of this month's activities.  We all have our lists of things that need to be done before December 25th... including those people we want to bless with a gift.

Jody and I are doing Christmas gifts a little simpler this year.  We've decided on one big gift for each of our kids.  We're taking the family to the Big Island to spend Christmas with Jody's parents, brother & family, and sister (who's coming in from North Carolina).  While on our morning walk today, we both agreed that we didn't want (or need) much more.

Psalm 138 is a psalm of thanksgiving.  The author is grateful for God's rescue & blessings.  Then at the very end he writes: "The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me."  And it hit me... THAT is the ULTIMATE Christmas gift.  The prayer that God's purposes may be fulfilled in the lives of my wife, my two children (especially as they both are nearing the "next steps" in important life decisions), myself (both as a person and as a pastor)... but also my church (as a whole, and for each individual within!)... my friends... heck, everyone (even those I'm not too fond of - they especially need God's purposes fulfilled in them!).

Lord, help me to pray this prayer every day during this Advent Season (and beyond!)... "FULFILL YOUR PURPOSE IN ME!"

No comments: