Saturday, April 19, 2014

True Rest

[From 9/3/13]

"Return, O my soul, to your rest..."
(Psalm 116:7)

I just finished reading the story (book!) of Jonah with our youth group.  When Jonah gets swallowed by the "great fish," he prays a prayer int he belly of the fish.  The prayer incorporates various psalms, including Psalm 116.  Today I read Psalm 116, and it's written by someone who was in serious trouble.  "The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress & anguish."  In the midst of this stress, gander, and impending doom, the author was saved by God.

In verse 7, there's a beautiful line: "Return, O my soul, to your rest, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you."  For some reason, that first phrase struck a chord with my heart.  "RETURN, O MY SOUL, TO YOUR REST."  In the craziness of life... in the busyness of our lives... in our struggle to get ahead vs. doing what's right... we're reminded that our souls find their true rest only in God.  And we all need rest for our (weary!) souls.

Prayer: God, help me to turn to You for rest.  My soul needs You more than I know (or admit).  Renew & refresh me, so I can lead others to that same rest & refreshment.  AMEN.

No comments: