Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hypocrisy abounds

[From July 16, 2013]

"Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 'The Scribes & the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practice what they teach!"
(Matthew 23:1-3)

It's been said that some want nothing to do with The Church, because "the church is full of hypocrites."  That's completely true.  (Yes, you read that right.)  We in the church ARE hypocrites.  But so is just about everyone else in the world, too.  It's just that we in the church are trying to be saved from our hypocrisy.

Jesus was familiar with hypocrisy in his day.  He saw it in the religious leaders.  So he taught people to follow what the teachers TEACH, but not how they live their own lives.  Ouch.  That's a harsh judgment but I can understand it.  As a pastor, there are times that I know I'm living out my faith.  But there are a lot of other moments where I'm faced with my own hypocrisy.

Paul put it this way: "I know what I should be doing, but I can't do it.  And the very things I hate are the things I find myself doing!  I'm so wretched!  What can rescue me from this?  Only Jesus."

As leaders, however, we're held to higher standards (as it should be).  But we're not perfect.  Save me, O God, from my own hypocrisy.  Make me more & more like you.  AMEN.

No comments: