Thursday, April 26, 2012

Claimed

[From April 25, 2012]

"The Levites shall be mine... for they are unreservedly given to me from among the Israelites; I have taken them for myself, in place of all that open the womb, the firstborn of all the Israelites."
(Numbers 8:14b, 16)

Every time I read this passage, I'm struck by the fact that God chose the priests (Levites) as compensation for the "tithe" of the firstborn.  Because God saved the firstborn Israelites during the 10th plague in Egypt, all future firstborn children were to be dedicated to God.  But God redeemed that claim through the priests.

Being a "priest" myself, this is a powerful verse.  I belong to God.  I have been claimed by him as his own.  God can do with me what he desires.  Because of me (and many other "priests" in the world), others are free to use their lives as they see fit (hopefully, they'll seek the Lord's guidance, too!).

It also causes me to pause.  I'm accountable to God.  I know we all are, technically, but as a "priest," I'm even more so.  May I live accordingly.  Thank you for claiming me as your own, God.  Help me to stay faithful to that claim!  AMEN.

No comments: