Friday, October 21, 2011

The Prayer

"Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually."
(Psalm 105:4)
[NOTE: Normally blog about my reflections on one passage from my devotional reading.  Today my heart was moved to simply pray.]



Lord, there are so many things I seem to be seeking.
Acclaim & recognition.
Success & achievement.
Entertainment.
The adrenaline rush of sports (playing & watching).
Beauty (in nature, music, art, etc.).
Peace & joy.
Significance in relationships (especially with my family).

I don't seem to be caught up in desiring security, stability & a future of ease.  I'm not ignorant in these areas, it's just never been much of a priority for me.  And I think that's a good thing.

Part of my challenge as being a pastor is that my "job" is to be about your business, Lord.  So it's easy to equate "doing my job" with "being in relationship" with you.  And, honestly, many times those two do overlap.

But when I read this passage today from Psalm 105, I was reminded of just how important it is.  SEEK THE LORD AND HIS STRENGTH; SEEK HIS PRESENCE CONTINUALLY.  That needs to be my focus.  Not just because I'm a pastor, but because I'm your child.

So help me to seek you.  Remind me of my need for you.  Do not let me be satisfied with anything less.  AMEN.

No comments: