Thursday, August 11, 2011

Not just on Broadway...

"But be filled with the Spirit, as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
(Ephesians 5:18b-20)

Music is a big part of my life.  Not that I'm any kind of accomplished musician, but I enjoy playing the guitar from time to time (I'm really just a beginner).  More than that, I love having music in my life.  I keep adding to my various playlists on my iPod, and frequently have it playing in the background.   I also like to sing along with the music (who doesn't, right?).

The apostle Paul would have approved.  In Ephesians 5, he commends us to have a song in our hearts (and on our lips) at all times!  He challenges us to "make melody" in our hearts to God - no matter what is going on in our lives (the good and the bad)!  What a wonderful way to "pray without ceasing."  If prayer is any communication with Go, then singing to the Lord is surely prayer!

So I'll keep singing my way through my days.  I guess it's not just on Broadway where people spontaneously break into song, eh?!

No comments: