Friday, July 1, 2011

Strongholds

"When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over Israel, all the Philistines went up in search of David; but David heard about it and went down to the stronghold."
(2 Samuel 5:17)

David is crowned the 2nd King of Israel.  All his fellow Israelites rejoice.  All Israel's enemies seethe.  The Philistines (neighbors to the SW) launch an offensive strike to eliminate the new monarch.  David's 'intel' discovers this plot, and he's able to protect himself accordingly.  What does he do?  2 Samuel 5:17 tells us "he went down to the stronghold."

Maybe this is one of those no-brainer comments that any military expert would say, "Of course!" to.  But it struck me this morning as I was reading.  When threatened, go to your stronghold.  (It's also interesting to note that David was threatened at the height of his accomplishments - a warning to us all!)

I know David's "stronghold" was probably a city of great strength & defense... but it got me thinking about my "stronghold."  Where do I "go" to be most safe?  Church?  Family?  Small group ministry?  How do I surround myself with "protection"?  Scripture reading?  Worship?  Christian fellowship?  Love of family?  I think it's a combination of many of these above things for me.  But am I going to my strongholds in times of need, or simply trying to "go it alone"?  May I learn from David...

No comments: