Thursday, April 28, 2011

That kind of different

"...But my servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit and has followed me wholeheartedly, I will bring into the land into which he went, and his descendants shall possess it."
(Numbers 14:24)

12 spies.  10 pessimists & only 2 optimists.  They went into the land God had promised them.  They completed their "scouting objective."  They made their majority report: "NO WAY!"  In fact, they stirred up the people to rebel against Moses & tried to return to Egypt!  Only Caleb & Joshua offered a 2nd opinion: "WITH GOD'S HELP, WE SURELY CAN!"

God decided none of the whiners would enter the promised land he had for them.  None.  Only Caleb (and also Joshua, though not mentioned in this passage) would see it come to fruition.  Everyone else in his generation would not.  Why?  "Because he has a different spirit," says God.  Different from the masses.  Different from fear.  Different from mistrust.  Different from being swayed by faithless leaders.  That kind of "different."

I want to be that kind of "different."  How awesome to have God say that about me... about my family... about our church!  To follow God wholeheartedly.  To live in faith, not fear.  To trust the Lord more than I trust myself.  To not listen to those leaders who seem adrift from their spiritual moorings.  That kind of different.

We need more of "that kind of different" people.

No comments: