Thursday, January 20, 2011

My inability to pick up the blitz...

"...But (God) said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.'  So I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."
(2 Corinthians 12:9)

It's so counter-intuitive.  Bragging about one's weaknesses.  It just doesn't happen.

We're in the midst of the NFL (National Football League) playoffs here in the US.  Player after player is touting his own prowess or his team's superiority.  It's relentless.  But I've yet to hear someone say...
  • "You know, I have a really hard time covering WR's when they go deep.  I'm just not quick enough."    OR...
  • "As an offensive lineman, my pass blocking is really suspect."   OR...
  • "On passing downs, I'm a real liability to this team, since I have serious problems picking up the blitz!"  OR...
  • "I'm just not that accurate a passer when opposing teams put pressure on me."
No... professional athletes never boast about their weaknesses (though you can guarantee opposing coaches have watched enough game film to know exactly what those weaknesses are!).

But Paul encourages us to do so in 2 Corinthians 12:9.  Why?  Mock humility?  Of course not.  He knows it's not about him, and all about Christ.  His weakness provides a wonderful opportunity for GOd to show His power.  It's not about us!  So let us offer up our weaknesses to the One who can do all things (even pick up the blitz!).

No comments: