Friday, October 15, 2010

Imagine!

"Rid yourselves, therefore, of all malice, and all guile, insincerity, envy, and all slander."
(1 Peter 2:1)

Starbucks recently started selling john Lennon's new album.  Well, it's more like a "best of," since Mr. Lennon hasn't been with us for a while now.  Anyway, I was looking through the song list today and saw the track IMAGINE.  It's a song, of course, about people living in peace & harmony together.  "You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.  I hope someday you will join me, and the world will live as one."

That easily could be the soundtrack for what I was reading today from 1 Peter 2:1.  This single verse, if lived out, would go a LONG way towards this world "living as one."  Listen to these simple (yet evidently surprisingly difficult to actually live out) words: "Rid yourselves of all malice, and all guile, insincerity, envy, and all slander."  Wouldn't it be refreshing if we ALL lived this way?  Especially now that we're in a political campaign season, we could use a lot less malice, guile, insincerity, envy, and slander!!!

But the true power of Scripture is not the passages I find for others to hear... it's the passages I find for me!  So how do I need to rid myself of these things?  May I endeavor today to be kind, gracious, sincere, content, and honest.  (Maybe even beyond today, too!)  Imagine!

No comments: