Monday, August 17, 2009

Strengthened Hearts

"For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the entire earth, to strengthen those whose heart is true to him."
(2 Chronicles 16:9)

King Asa of Judah is an interesting guy. After hearing a very foreboding prophecy against his people because of their sin (see 2 Chronicles 15), he instituted a sincere nation-wide repentance & reform program. He even removed his own mother (the Queen Mother) from power, because she started worshiping someone other than the Lord (it takes guts to do that to your own kin!).

But when King Baasha of Israel (remember, Israel & Judah used to be united under Kings Saul, David & Solomon... then the country split) moved his troops into the neighborhood, Asa panicked. He sent a big bribe to the King of Aram, asking him to switch his alliance from supporting Baasha to supporting him. And the King did!

But God was not pleased. Asa never once asked God to help him against the armies of Israel. So the prophet Hanani came to chastise Asa for his lack of faith. That's when he spoke (v.9) about God looking to "strengthen those whose heart is true to him."

That got me thinking... we often think we need to have a strong & unshakable faith. But this verse acknowledges that God knows even the faithful ones have "shaky hearts" from time to time. If our hearts are true, even if we don't feel especially confident or strong in our faith, God will strengthen us. God will give us the courage, confidence & boldness to meet the challenges that arise. Or, we can, like Asa, make other plans. Plans that don't involve trusting God with all our hearts (weak, though they may be!). Ouch. I'd like to think I'd choose the former.

PRAYER: Lord God... as I seek to be the person you've called me to be, thanks for reminding me that you haven't called me to be "Super Christian." You've called me to be true to you. To be faithful. Not always successful. Help me to trust YOU first & foremost, with everything that comes my way. Put aside my ideas about finding "alternate means of assistance," so I can focus solely on you. AMEN.

1 comment:

cindycoleman76 said...

Wow, this really spoke to me today! Thanks:)